In 1901 several community and private schools were combined to for the first public school called Valmead near the site of the present school. In the beginning, it was a one-teacher school. Sometime late an additional room was built that accommodated two teachers for four to six months a year. When the school burned in 1920, students were housed in a store building, a hosiery mill, and a church. By 1922 a new six-room brick building with an auditorium was completed. That building housed grades 1-9. Several renovations followed, and one time, the school became so crowded that students had to be transferred to Happy Valley.
In 1951, the present main building was opened, and a renovation provided a library that was large enough to accommodate an entire class. The first lunchroom at the school was completed in 1952. Classrooms, an all-purpose room, and a larger cafeteria were added in 1958 and 1962. The 1990's saw big changes - the addition of a workroom and counselor's office in 1990 and a new gymnasium and parking lot in 1991-92. By the opening of the school in 1993-94, the all-purpose room had been converted into a beautiful new media center and computer lab. Two new classrooms were completed for the 1998-99 school year. That renovation also included a brand new "front door" that was easily accessible to the parking area.