Child and Family Support Teams
What is the School-Based Child & Family Support Team (CFST) Initiative?
- It’s goal is to eliminate barriers and reduce risk factors that may keep children from being successful.
- It is a statewide pilot program developed through the leadership of the Office of the Governor
- The 2005 Appropriations Act provides legislative authority and funding for this school- based initiative
What does a Child & Family Support Team Do? (CFST)
A CFST is comprised of a full-time school social worker and full-time registered nurse at the designated school site. Their primary responsibilities are:
- Identify and assess unmet physical, social, legal, emotional and developmental factors that affect academic performance
- Help families develop teams of family and community members who are committed to the child’s success
- Facilitate Child & Family Team Meetings
- Provide student and family support services at school and at home
What are the goals of the Child and Family Support Team?
- Support and build upon the strengths, assets and preferences for each child and family
- Include parents as partners in the care and education of their children
- Improve the lives of children so they will achieve academic success and remain in their own homes
- Coordinate services with community agencies
The Referral Process
- Referrals can be made by anyone concerned about a child who attends a school with a Child and Family Support Team
- Students and Families can refer themselves
- Upon referral, the CFS Team with discuss concerns with the family and an assessment will be completed to determine what services will be needed to best promote success.
What is a Child and Family Plan?
It is a coordinated service plan developed with the family that lists what is needed, what is expected, and who will be responsible for what.
- It may exist along with other student plans such as the...
- Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- Behavior Improvement Plan (BIP)
- Individual Health Plan (IHP)
- Other community agency plans
The Child & Family Support Team may include any of the following.
- Students & Families
- Family Support Systems (Relatives, friends, faith community, etc.)
- School Administration, Teachers or other staff
- Mental Health Agencies
- Caldwell County Department of Social Services (DSS)
- Caldwell County Public Health
- Department of Juvenile Justice
- Local physicians or other medical professionals
Who are the Child and Family Support Team Members at your school?
Kelly Matthews- Social Worker
Michele Gibbs- School Nurse
Gamewell Middle School
Alexis Holt- Social Worker
Angela Proffit- School Nurse
West Caldwell High School
Ashley McKinney- Social Worker
Hayley Penley- School Nurse
Kim Jones- Social Worker
Margaret Sides- School Nurse