Dear Parent/Guardian:


    Our school system has written policies and procedures to ensure safety and accuracy in providing medications for students at school.  If your child must have medication of any type (prescription or over-the-counter) given at school, you may choose to:


    1.      Come to school and give the medication to your child as prescribed by your doctor or health care provider; OR


    2.      Provide a Medication Consent Form for both prescription and over-the-counter medications, filled out by the health care provider with complete instructions and directions for administration.  This form must be signed by the health care provider AND parent/guardian before the medication can be administered.


    Parents who return the Medication Consent Form should also be aware of the following requirements:


    • Prescription medication must be brought to school by the parent/guardian, in a pharmacy labeled container with the child’s name, dosage, and instructions.  Upon request, a pharmacist will prepare two pharmacy containers for school and home if needed. 


    • A student who is permitted to carry and self-medicate with their inhaler, epi-pen and/or insulin will also need the Medication Consent Form completed.


    • Over-the-counter medications (cough syrup, Tums, Tylenol, Calamine Lotion, etc.) must be brought to school by the parent, in the original containers and labeled with your child’s name.  This medication will be kept in the office or designated area. The Medication Consent Form must be signed by the health care provider before medication can be administered. 


    • No aspirin or aspirin products are recommended for children under the age of 15.


    • Once the proper forms are provided, the staff will be able to administer the medications to your child.  These criteria are mandates of North Carolina General Statute 115C-375.1.


    School board policies and procedures have been updated to reflect current law and are to ensure the safety of your child when medication is required to be given at school.  You may discuss with your doctor any alternatives to the treatment plan if you do not want medication administered at school.  If you have any questions or need assistance for your child at school, please contact your school nurse at your school.


    Thank you for your cooperation.


      Adopted: 4/2010