Hall of Honor 2005 Inductees
F.P. "Bodie" Bodenmeimer
Born in Lumberton, NC, F.P. "Bodie" Bodenheimer, Jr. moved to Granite Falls in 1936. Attending Granite Falls High School, Bodie lettered in football, basketball, and baseball. He was also the editor of the Granite Boulder Yearbook and Granite Pebble Newspaper. Graduating in 1947, Bodie, joined the Navy and was released from active duty in 1949 to attend ASU where he received a BS in Science and Physical Education. Bodie began his professional career at Tech High School in Charlotte as teacher and football/baseball coach. After several years of teaching, Bodie accepted a job with the Investment Division of Prudential Insurance Company. In 1958, he began his 30-year career with First Citizens Bank and Trust Company in Smithfield, NC, and worked through the ranks to become President, First Citizens Bank and Trust Company in Raleigh. Throughout his business career, Bodie also dedicated himself to his country. After the Korean Conflict, he resigned from the Navy and joined the Army National Guard. In 1979, he attended the US Army War College, receiving a graduate degree and graduating with honors. In 1982, he was promoted to Brigadier General and served in numerous positions in the US and Europe. His last assignment under the Army Capstone Program was the Deputy Commander of Southern European Territorial Army Forces. For 39 years, Brigadier General Bodenheimer served his country with distinction. Retirement from the banking industry did not slow Bodie down. In 1994, Bodie purchased a group of companies in Franklin, NC: Zickgraf Hardwood Company, Nantahala Lumber Company, Franklin Machine Company and Zickgraf Sawmill Company. Zickgraf Hardwood has become one of the largest manufacturers of its kind in America. In addition to his successful business career, Bodie has been an advocate of education and continues to serve on ASU boards, the Board of Governors of the University System in North Carolina, as Chair of the Early Childhood Development Center in Franklin and a board member of the Mountain Area Child and Family Center. Mr. Bodenheimer's life exemplifies dedication and service to community, business and country.
Bruce Collins Cresson
A native of Caldwell County and a 1948 graduate of Lenoir High School, Bruce Collins Cresson achieved a notable career in education and ministry. Cresson received a BA degree from Wake Forest, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, BD and ThM degrees from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, and a PhD in Religion from Duke University. After serving as Minister of the Hillsborough First Baptist Church, Cresson entered the field of higher education. He taught at Southeastern Baptist Seminary for one year, at Duke University for three years, for one summer at the University of Miami, and for 34 years at Baylor University, from 1966-2000. While at Baylor, Dr. Cresson spent 25 summers in archaeological excavation in Israel. He was either Director or Co-Director of excavations at Aphek-Antipatris, Dalit, Ira, Uza, Radum, and Malhata. In 1984 Dr. Cresson was appointed Vice-Provost for International Programs, and in 1987 was named Dean of Baylor's University School, a position he held for four years. From 1994-2000 he served as W.W. Melton Professor of Religion. He currently holds the title as Professor Emeritus of Religion. At Baylor Dr. Cresson was instrumental in establishing and directing the Institute of Archaeology, the Institute of Biblical and Related Languages, and the University Scholars Program. He co-authored a College-level textbook, Introduction to the Bible, which was used in many colleges across the country, and he has written numerous articles for periodicals and dictionaries, primarily on archaeological subjects. He was honored by his peers in 2000 with the John Gammie Award, given annually to the outstanding scholar in the field of religious studies in the southwestern region of the U.S. Dr. Cresson has demonstrated great knowledge, keen discernment, and great dedication to both university and community.
Linda Dianne Hubbard
Graduating from Hibriten High School in 1977, Linda Dianne Hubbard, as a Morehead Scholar, entered the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where she received a BA in English Literature. Continuing her education, Hubbard graduated from Harvard Law School in 1985 and, as a Rotary Scholar, received a BA Honours in 1986 from Stellenbosch University in Stellenbosch, South Africa. In 1986-87, Hubbard worked for the Lawyers' Committee for Human Rights in New York where she collected and compiled information on human rights violations in South Africa and Namibia, while doing extensive fieldwork in South Africa and Namibia. In 1988, Hubbard became a senior legal assistant for NAMLAW in Windhoek, Namibia. Here she began dedicating her life as a legal consultant making laws relevant and accessible to women. As coordinator of the Gender Research and Advocacy Project of the Legal Assistance Centre, Hubbard has worked in partnership with the government on a host of gender-related law reform issues and has been key in shaping new legislation such as the Combating of Rape Act, the Combating of Domestic Violence Act, the Maintenance Act, the Criminal Procedure Amendment Act (to assist vulnerable witnesses), the draft Divorce Act, the Child Care and Protection Bill and the Children's Status Bill. Hubbard was also the technical advisor to Namibia's CEDAW delegation to the UN in 1997 and is a frequent advisor to the government's Law Reform & Development Commission. Hubbard continues her work and research on issues such as affirmative action, family law, and violence against women and children. A true advocate of women's reform, Hubbard's colleagues say, "While many Hibriten High School graduates have led extraordinary, successful lives, Dianne Hubbard is one of the very few who has globally impacted the lives of so many individuals through a strong and influential voice."
James T. Broyhill
James T. Broyhill was born in Lenoir, North Carolina, and educated in the public schools of Lenoir. For five years he was a member of the Lenoir High School Band and served as Drum Major and President of the band. He is a 1950 graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Mr. Broyhill worked with Broyhill Furniture Industries in a number of executive capacities until his election to the US Congress in 1962. His exemplary service to Caldwell County included work with the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Recreation Commission of Lenoir. He also served two terms as President of the Lenoir Chamber of Commerce, and was named Young Man of the Year in 1957 by the Lenoir Jaycees. Elected to the United States Congress in 1962, Mr. Broyhill served in the U.S. House for 23 ½ years until his appointment to the U.S. Senate in July 1986 on the death of Senator John East. In the House of Representatives he served on the Energy and Commerce Committee as the senior Republican member; in the Senate, he served on the Armed Services Committee and the Judiciary Committee. In 1987, Senator Broyhill was appointed the Chair of the Board of Economic Development for North Carolina and served as Secretary of the North Carolina Department of Commerce. He served 9 years on Appalachian State University's Board of Trustees, and 8 years on the ASU Foundation Board. In retirement, Senator Broyhill is still active in serving his community and state. He serves as a member of the Board of Visitors to the Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, the Board of Visitors of the Babcock MBA School of Management at Wake Forest University, and has served on the Board of Directors of the North Carolina Food Bank. In 1996, Mr. Broyhill was appointed by Governor Jim Hunt to serve as co-chairman of the Work First Business Council, a group charged with the duty of helping to implement the welfare reform program. In 1993 and in 2000 he co-chaired the successful passage of statewide bond referendums for education. In November 1993, the N.C. Republican party inducted James Broyhill into the North Carolina Republican Hall of Fame. From Caldwell County to Washington, James T. Broyhill will be remembered for his service to fellow citizens, community and nation.
Richard Barton Hayes
A native of Caldwell County and graduate of Lenoir High School, Richard Barton Hayes continued his education at Davidson College graduating with honors in 1929. Mr. Hayes returned to Hudson to teach math and physics for one year before starting his career in the family owned Hudson Cotton Manufacturing Company, where he served as President from 1947 until the company was sold to Shuford Mills in 1968. In addition to his hands-on involvement in the operation of the mills, Mr. Hayes served his community. He was instrumental in starting the first water system in Hudson and the Hudson Fire Department, donating the land and buying the first fire truck. His activities ranged from the school board to the hospital board and the Chamber of Commerce, from the Rotary Club with over fifty years of perfect attendance and recognition as a Paul Harris Fellow, Masons, Shriners, Bank of Granite Director to the volunteer fire department, from the Boy Scouts to the Democratic Party, from the Methodist Church to the Red Cross. He was appointed to the NC State Board of Education and served in that position for almost 23 years. During that tenure, he campaigned for public school integration and the creation of the community college system. From his unique industrial perspective, he recognized the need and helped establish industrial education centers for employment in industrial, trade, and health occupations. Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute is one result of these efforts. In 1997, Davidson College awarded Mr. Hayes an Honorary Doctorate in Humanities in recognition of his many years of devotion to the education of North Carolina citizens. Mr. Hayes exemplifies what one individual can accomplish through community concern and service to others. Caldwell County will forever be grateful for his dedication to improve the lives of his fellow citizens.
Louis Round Wilson
Louis Round Wilson was born in Lenoir on December 27, 1876. As a boy, he attended area schools, which included Rectory Studio, Free Public School, Subscription School, and the Lenoir Academy. During these early years, Wilson worked in the office of the Lenoir Topic as typesetter and printer's devil. His first librarian position was with the local Methodist Church where he managed the Church's Sunday School library. Following a year of college preparation at Davenport College, Wilson attended Haverford College for three years before transferring to UNC Chapel Hill where he graduated in 1899. After spending two years teaching in private schools Wilson returned to UNC where he earned his MA in 1902 and PhD in 1905. In 1904, Dr Wilson helped found the NC Library Association and in 1907 joined the UNC faculty of Library Science. In 1909 he married Penelope Bryan Wright who supported him in his initiatives. Wilson founded the Carolina Alumni Review in 1912 and remained editor until 1924. He was named Director of the University of NC Press in 1922. In 1931, Dr. Wilson was instrumental in establishing the UNC School of Library Science and was named first director and Kenan Professor of Library Administration. From 1932 to 1942, Dr. Wilson served as Dean of the Graduate Library School at the University of Chicago. In 1951, Dr. Wilson was named honorary member of the American Library Association. In recognition of his years of service and dedication to UNC the school named the campus library the Louis Round Wilson Library in 1956. In 1976, Dr. Wilson was awarded the Mevil Dewey Medal. Later that year leaders and scholars from across the nation joined the UNC School of Library Science in celebration of his centennial birthday. Dr. Wilson's childhood in Lenoir was the beginning for a man recognized as a scholar, churchman, family man, and community leader