1) Gifted children will do fine on their own
* Truth - Gifted Children cannot teach themselves
2) Teachers challenge all students in their classrooms
* Truth - Most teachers have not been trained to work with advanced students.
3) Gifted students are role models for other students in their classroom.
* Truth - Average or below-average students do not look to the gifted students as role models
4) All children are gifted.
* Truth - All children have strengths and positive attitudes, but not all children are gifted in the academic sense of the word.
5) Academic acceleration is socially harmful for accelerated students.
* Truth - Gifted children are often happier with older children who share their interests and abilities than with children their own age.
6) Gifted education programs are elitist.
* Truth - Gifted education program funding and availability of services can be elitist, but meeting the need is not.
7) Students getting poor or average grades cannot be gifted.
* Truth - Not all gifted students are academically successful.
8) Gifted students are happy, popular, and well-adjusted in school.
*Truth - School can be a negative experience for some gifted students.
9) A child receiving special education services cannot also be gifted.
*Truth - Having strengths in one area does not preclude the need for support in another.
10) Gifted education programs require an abundance of resources.
*Truth - Offering gifted education services does not need to break the bank.