Phone: (828) 726-3910
Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor's Degree in Middle Grades Education from Appalachian State University
Mrs. Amy Pennell
Welcome to William Lenoir! I am excited you are going to be in my Language Arts classroom! Here’s just a little bit about me:
- I’m married and have 2 children. My son, Cody, is a junior at the Caldwell Early College High School and my daughter, Gracie, is in 8th grade here at WLMS.
- My happy place is at Oak Island, NC. We spend time there every summer and once I’m there, I never want to leave! My favorite quote is, “The cure for anything is SALTWATER-sweat, tears or the sea.”
- My favorite thing to do is to READ, so I will LOVE LOVE LOVE talking with you about books all year!
The following topics are a preview of many of the concepts to be covered in ELA this year. The school year is divided into four 9-week periods, as is our curriculum. I plan to use leveled readers, Study Island, SmartBoard and PowerPoint lessons, Accelerated Reader, Google Classroom and various other strategies to prepare our class for the Reading End-of-Grade test, which will be given at the end of the school year. Please check planbook.com (I will give codes to the students) for weekly plans and homework. The Language Arts curriculum covered includes:
- Reading literature and nonfiction text
- Central (main) idea
- Point of view
- Figurative language
- Citing evidence
- Vocabulary (focusing specifically on using context clues)
- Research projects