Degrees and Certifications:
National Board Certification- Career & Technical Education/Early Adolescence through Young Adulthood- Nov 2008 Curriculum Specialist MA program with concentration in Business Education, ASU- Spring 2007 Teacher Licensure in Business Education- 2004 BS in Business Administration, Major in Marketing, ASU– Spring, 1998
Ms. Dawn Smith
This is my 18th year teaching. I have a passion for teaching and learning. I received my BSBA in Business Administration in 1998 for Marketing from ASU. I, then, worked as a Retail Manager for Belk for 3 years, but it was not fulfilling. I decided to go back to school to receive my Teacher Licensure in Business Education and began teaching with Catawba County Schools for the 1st 2 years of my teaching experience. And for the past 16 years I have been at GFMS. In 2007, I recieved my Masters Degree for "Curriculum Specialist" with a concentration in Business Education from ASU. In November of 2008, I received my National Board Certification for Career & Technical Education for Early Adolescence through Young Adulthood.
"Tell me & I forgot,
Teach me & I remember.
Involve me & I learn."
There are no upcoming events to display.
Welcome to Ms. Smith's class:)
A little more about me.....
I am excited to teach!! I have 2 children, Laney Sue (Age 12) and Grady (Age 10) that I adore. We love to live an active lifestyle and travel everywhere we can and experience new people and cultures. I also love live theater, I will take a play over a movie anyday.
Topics of Study
Exploring Business & Entrepreneurship
- Understand the Purposes & Functions of Business
- Compare the Main 4 types of Businesses
- Classify Businesses as either Profit or Non- Profit
- Recall personal characteristics and skills needed for a successful entrepreneur.
- Understand entrepreneurship and the entrepreneurial process.
- Understand the procedures, and requirements for starting a business.
Exploring Economic Systems
- 2.01 Compare different types of economic systems: traditional, free enterprise, command, and mixed economies.
- 2.02 Interpret supply and demand graphs.
- 2.03 Explain how the Federal Reserve, Stock Market, and e-commerce impact the United States’ economic systems.
- 2.04 Understand the United States’ economic systems.
Business Etiquette & Communication
- 5.01 Understand appropriate business etiquette and business communication.
- 5.02 Understand ethics and ethical decision-making.
- 6.01 Understand skills required for seeking employment.
- 6.02 Understand procedures for gaining employment.
- 6.03 Understand behaviors required to maintain employment.
- 7.01 Understand leadership.
- 7.02 Understand teambuilding.