Spartan Lyceum Chapter
In 2005, NEHS was founded to recognize excellence in English at the high school level. South Caldwell High School recently applied for a charter to organize its first English honor society. We chose the name “Spartan Lyceum Chapter of the National English Honor Society” to represent us. In keeping with our Spartan pride, “Lyceum” comes from the Aristotelian institution where intellectuals gathered for discussions, lectures, academic discourse, etc. We are pleased and excited to invite you to apply to join the Spartan Lyceum Chapter of the National English Honor Society.
Students eligible for membership must meet the following criteria:
- One full semester enrolled at South Caldwell High School
- Two semesters of English classes
- 3.5 unweighted GPA in English classes at the time of this application
- Overall cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.0 or better at the time of this application
- Completed and submitted application including involvement experience, essay, and 2 recommendations (one must be from an English teacher)
- Payment of the induction fee: $20
In keeping with the NEHS motto gelast sceal mid are (Old English for “duty goes with honor”), members must:
- Complete 10 hours of English-related service hours every school year
- Attend monthly honor society meetings as scheduled during Smart Lunch
- Pay annual dues: $10 (after first year)
- Grade minimums: 3.5 unweighted GPA in all English courses; 3.0 unweighted GPA overall
Demonstrate excellent character and integrity
As a member, you will join like-minded peers in attending local events, assisting with literacy and writing programs, and other fantastic opportunities. Membership will also make you eligible for scholarships and international networking.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact either Robert Eller (email@example.com) or Rachael Welty (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Check out the NEHS site.