New Principal Named at South Caldwell High School
At a special session held by the Board of Education on Monday, Superintendent Dr. Donald Phipps named Phillip Little to the open principal position at South Caldwell High School effective July 1, 2020.
Serving as a high school principal at Avery County High School since 2018, Little also held leadership roles as an assistant principal at Northwood High School in Pittsboro, NC, and at Southeast Randolph Middle of Randolph County Schools. He began his career in education in 1998 and has experience as a virtual school teacher.
Little completed both his Masters of Education in School Administration and Masters of Education in Secondary Social Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He received his undergraduate degree at Appalachian State University.
Rob Bliss, retired principal, assistant principal, and coach of Catawba County, served as interim principal at South Caldwell High School beginning in October.
Other employment recommendations announced previously at the May 4 Board of Education Work Session include;
- Courtney Wright, principal at Granite Falls Middle, named as principal at Hibriten High School, held by David Colwell who retires July 1, 2020.
- Robert Semple, Exceptional Children's Director reassigned to Executive Director of Student Support Services, following the retirement of Jill Duffy on July 1. The Exceptional Children's Director position will be filled by Travis Gillespie, who served as principal of West Lenoir Elementary School.
The following curriculum positions were also announced:
- K-12 Instructional Technology/Media Curriculum Coordinator - Randy Seldomridge
- K-12 Science/Social Studies/World Languages/Health and PE Curriculum Coordinator - Dorthy Hayes
- K-12 English Language Arts/Arts (Music, Visual Arts, Theatre Arts) Curriculum Coordinator - Redeana Smith
Any remaining administrative positions, such as the principal vacancy at Granite Falls Middle and West Lenoir Elementary will be addressed in upcoming School Board meetings.